Everyone is looking to reduce homeowner’s insurance premiums. Most people think the only way to reduce your homeowner’s premiums is to shop for the best price. While that is always a good idea (our agency represents many fine and stable insurers that we can select from), lowering your risk is a big factor in obtaining lower insurance rates. By improving your homeowner’s risk you will attract better insurers and obtain the best possible price for your risk.
Here are factors that will increase your risk factors (and your premiums) in the mind of the insurance company:
1. Pets and farm animals. Not all pets are going to increase premiums, but owning a German Shepherd, Great Dane, Siberian Husky, Doberman, Rottweiler, Pit Bull, or any other dog that could be considered aggressive, could raise insurance rates.
2. Owning a trampoline will increase your rates. Trampolines result in approximately 92,000 hospital visits each year.
3. Claim Frequency. Multiple claims may be seen as a larger risk and charged accordingly. On the same property, damage from a burst pipe, a tree that falls on the roof, or a kitchen fire will raise a red flag and cause insurers to take a closer look.
4. Swimming pools (both above and in-ground) will increase your homeowner’s insurance rates. Over 1,000 people die each year as a result of pool accidents.
5. Condition of your home. Keep up on basic home maintenance. Keep your roof in good repair.
6. Fire Concerns. When it comes to fire stations, location is also important. Living too far away from a fire station or hydrant may result in higher insurance costs. Of course, a neighbor's pool, as well as a nearby pond, could be a source of water in an emergency. Or living in an area where wild fire are a regular event will increase tire premiums.
7. Location. The location of the home, much like in real estate, is quite important. Homeowners who live in Tornado Alley, along the coast of Florida (or any coast), in a hurricane-prone state, or in a sinkhole-prone area can expect to pay extra for homeowners insurance.
According to a recent research, 69 percent of homeowners are underinsured. Unfortunately, many homeowners believe they are completely insured and are surprised to learn, after a loss, that their coverage is inadequate.
Choosing the best homeowners insurance coverage for your home and belongings is dependent on a variety of factors, including local crime rates, flood risk, and wildfire threats, as well as the specific personal property coverage and deductibles that make the most sense for your household.
A Homeowners Insurance Policy Will Generally Cover The Following:
· The structure of your home
· Replacement cost
· Personal possessions (up to a set limit)
· Living expenses in case of a disaster
· Renters insurance (duplex, apartment)
We also understand that you want your claims covered and you want outstanding customer service. Unlike some faceless internet company, we will always work more than “7 minutes” to find you the best possible combination of price, coverage and service for your insurance needs.
With offices in Beaumont and Houston J.S. Edwards & Sherlock Insurance Agency offers everything from Commercial Insurance and Personal Lines Coverages to Workers Compensation Plans and Life, Health and Employee Benefits. As an Independent Insurance Agency, we represent numerous insurance companies that allow us to compare coverage and premiums in order to best meet your insurance needs. The mission of J.S. Edwards & Sherlock Insurance Agency is to provide insurance protection for our clients with quality products and excellent service. We want to work with you to find the best insurance solutions for you, your family and your business.